Rave Reviews Log: Realistic Fiction

March 09, 2007

4 Kids in 5E & 1 Crazy Year


By Virginia Frances Schwartz
Rating: 3 3/4 stars
Reviewed by Noelle

When the fifth grade classrooms are too overcrowded one year in a New York City school, one new classroom is opened up--5E, with a new teacher named Ms. Hill. Destiny, Maximo, Giovanni and Willie are all chosen for the new classroom, scrunched between the kindergartens. All 4 students have different stories. Willie is homesick for Jamaica and his ailing grandmother, Giovanni is terrified he'll be held back because he can hardly read in English, Maximo is freshly back from living in shelters with his mother and angry with life, and Destiny is a pushy gossip, always looking to find out about everyone and everything. But all of their lives are transformed when Ms. Hill makes writing part of their lives. Every day the children write in their journals, making observations about the world around them and eventually, about their own feelings and experiences. Through their writing, they all learn and grow, overcoming their own personal problems. All four students take turns telling the story of their year in 5E, from some of the early reluctance to write to the frenzy of entering the fifth grade writing contest at the end of the year. They also tell the stories of each other as they begin to notice something outside of their own worlds. An inspirational and interesting story about the power of words and of people.

6 Comments:

  • I loved this book! I just finished fifth grade so t was very interesting. I loved how each character had a completely different personality and how each character had a completely different yet interesting opinion on subjects.

    By Blogger AS1997, At 3:45 PM  

  • I think you have great taste in books sinc this is one of my favorite books in the world

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:11 PM  

  • I wonder why this book is so unpopular? It's one of my fav. books too but it hasn't gotten any awards or anything!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:22 PM  

  • I Love this book so much and today my teacher asked us to do a book talk, and the first that cam in my mind was this book. wish me luck on my book talk on April 23,2010

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:46 PM  

  • this is strange .. my best year with my other three best friends was fifth grade, we were and 5E, and we had a crazy year - i miss that :'(

    By Blogger MadiShae, At 10:13 PM  

  • this book was a total success great job i absoulutly loved it make a pt 2 to see how 5th grade for the kids is diffrent from 6th

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home